Preteen Burnout


The last few years have been challenging, to say the least. We entered the pre-teen age, and my control over my son's Type 1 went out the window! He became much more independent, and I had to learn how to let go. Part of this has been amazing to watch him step up and manage his health for himself. But part has been agonizingly painful as I watch him have to focus on T1D rather than being a kid, and hard as he often forgets to bolus and ignores all of his medical alarms.

At the beginning of Evan's diagnosis, I took a lot of pride in taking care of him and doing all the things necessary to keep him healthy. I'll be the first to admit that I missed the mark on helping him be more independent. It's hard when you're dealing with normal pre-teen and teen behavior and forgetfulness....on top of T1D.

We are currently working on getting his A1C back down to a normal level and finding the right technology and treatments to reduce the burnout he is feeling. We've been in T1D burnout for many years now. We've tried counseling, different technology, and so many tactics, but none seem to help. I think part of this is being patient as we get through this phase. And I am everything except patient!

Comments